When I was asked to review Walk This Way: Ethics and Sanctification Lessons for Kids, I was excited because it’s not your typical ministry book. It’s extremely practical, easy to use, and a lot of fun to read. In the introduction, Anne Marie says, “This curriculum will help you: teach engaging Bible lessons kids can’t resist, create a fun teaching atmosphere that sparks the imagination of children, teach children Biblical truth that enhances their spiritual growth, and share the gospel and expand the Kingdom.” I believe this book can do all that and more.
Here are some of the biggest positives:
- Versatility of LessonsYou can use the lessons in the order they are written, or pick and choose the ones you like. You can adapt the lessons to use with small or large groups and you can pull the object lessons out to supplement your current curriculum. I love that anyone can use this book to reach children for God.
- The LayoutEach lesson is laid out in sections: Background, Object Lesson, Bible Lesson, Life Application, and Comment Box. Most of the curriculum I’ve encountered doesn’t include this much content. The sections make it easy to prepare by including materials lists, tips, and additional instructions.
- TipsAt the end of each of the lessons, the author gives you a quick tip from their experience on how to make the lessons even better. It makes you feel like she’s right there with you. It’s a big plus to know that these lessons have been tested out with actual kids.
- Additional ResourcesThere are lots of additional free resources included with the book. At the end, there is a bonus Christmas lesson, resources on how to lead a child to Christ, coloring pages that go along with the lessons, and more. You can even access free downloadable posters and other lesson materials on the Resources Page.
I enjoyed reading through all 20 of the lessons, but these were my highlights:
- Chapter 2: Dealing With Bad Language
- Chapter 6: Dealing With Temptation
- Chapter 7: How Sneaky is Manipulation
- Chapter 8: How is Your Self-Control?
- Chapter 9: Respecting the Rights of Others
- Chapter 14: Being a Best Friend
- Chapter 15: Why Should We Follow Directions?
- Chapter 16: Being on Mission Takes Effort
Walk This Way is a great book for any Children’s Pastor, Sunday school teacher, or parent who wants to teach their kids how to live and behave more like Jesus. You can pick up Walk This Way in a paperback copy or kindle version here. To access more resources for parents and teachers, visit http://www.futureflyingsaucers.com/walk-way-resources-page/. To receive weekly Bible lessons, book updates, and Children’s Ministry helps, register directly at http://www.futureflyingsaucers.com.
I’m giving away a free copy of Walk This Way this week! To enter, just comment on this post! Winners will be announced Friday, May 12th.
And the winner is… Kat Gensler-Nic! Please send your mailing address to [email protected] to receive your free book. Thanks to everyone who participated in this contest. Even if you didn’t win I would encourage you to pick up this awesome resource for your ministry today.